Learning to Homeschool

Those who have known me for many years know that even four years ago if someone had said I'd be homseschooling I'd have laughed to their face. And probably been just that ungracious about it! I held so many misconceptions about homeschool, and so little real information. I held so many concerns about it, Yet, alas, I live in rural Alberta, and thus a large portion of my friends and church family all homeschool. I began to see the benefits of it more and more!

After much discussion and no shy amount of prayer between my husband and I we came to the idea to homeschool not all that long ago. It grew from a 'let's play with this idea' to a 'I guess we're doing this' to a 'We can't do it any other way!'

We have a handful of reasons. One large one of course is our faith. Beyond the normal reasons a Christian would give for wanting to homeschool their child in the department of faith we have added issues simply because we are Messianic. How often does Christmas Break fall with Hannukah or Easter with Passover? What about Sukkot in the Fall which is 8 days long, or any of the other days spread out of the calendar like Purim, First Fruits, Pentecost, Trumpets and Atonement? Never mind that as a farm family we also have our own traditions and holidays, like a ten day fishing trip in June every year and a fall hunting trip. Homeschooling makes this all go smoothly and far easier to keep our calendar working for us rather than us trying to work to another calendar! For this we will be trying a mostly year round schedule so time is never a concern to finish, we never have to stress over taking a week off here and there for Holy Days or Holidays.

The next big reason is the basic level of education available and what is being taught in public schools today. In our area the average reading level of graduates is a grade 3 level! To me that is simply unacceptable. The way they are taught to print, and completely void of cursive, is also an issue. You add in the way math has changed, my issues with science as a young earth creationist, we'd be doing as much time re-teaching or supplementing our childrens' education as I would spend simply doing it myself! And when you're rural thats a very big deal. The bus leaves at 8 am and doesn't return until 4pm, leaving very little time for both school work and any quality family time together. With the farm we can be done on a good day by noon, and half all day if its a harder day! 

Now, I'm still naive. I'm still leanring. We are just starting out. My daughter is starting grade 1 and my son is doing K and a half. Essentially he will be going to kindergarten for two days a week and doing grade 1 on the days he is home. Giving him the same level of socials and science that he meets, he's advanced, while giving her a head start over him in english and math, she's delayed. This way I get some one on one time with my girl to help her in her areas of struggle, especially when she is my more stubborn of the two and we can butt heads!

This has already begin to show itself. We've been half into it for three weeks, not all of our curriculum is in but we have enough parts of all subjects to be started and running. Moving into it slowly. With reading we have already run into the first, of I'm sure many, struggles. my Biggest struggle is repeating myself. I find nothing more difficult and wearying on my patience. and yet that's all I have for this subject so far!

"Sound it out." Silence.
"Sound it out, make the sounds for each letter" Tries to guess the word.
"Just Please sound out the letters...."

Okay, sometimes that isn't a fade out but more of an exclamation point.

I knew that homeschooling, no matter how wonderful it will be for the kids and how much better for our family, would be a trial on me. It will take a lot out of me and grow my patience. I was braced for this. I just don't think I was as prepared for it quite so soon, but again, we're starting slowly. I know this is a minor thing, even though it doesn't feel like it in the moment, and it too will pass on to worse struggles! But little by little, I am doing Yah's will for my family and love each and every day so far. May many more come, and may Yah guide my steps and those of my children.